Monday 04th January, 2021

New Chapter for Historic College

2021 heralds’ important changes for a college which has seen education delivered continuously at its site since 1561, when Elizabeth I granted a charter to Prior Robert Pursglove to “educate the poor boys of Guisborough”.

Prior Pursglove and Stockton Sixth Form College, as it has been known since the merger of the two predecessor sixth form colleges in 2016, has appointed a new Principal.  Deputy Principal, Asma Shaffi, has been promoted to lead the two-site 16-19 academy of some 1900 students.

The current Principal, Joanna Bailey, is taking on the role of Chief Executive Officer for the overarching multi-academy trust, Tees Valley Collaborative Trust, established in 2017.  In addition to the college, the Trust comprises Errington Primary School in Marske, Guisborough Montessori Nursery and looks forward to other settings joining the Trust shortly.

CEO of Tees Valley Collaborative Trust Joanna Bailey said:

“It has been a privilege to serve as Principal of Stockton Sixth form College since 2013 and of the merged college from 2016.  As CEO of the Trust, I will continue to be accountable for the success of all our activities, whilst also focusing my energies on growing our Trust so that we can realise all the benefits of sharing best practice and utilising resources economically.  Asma has been a supremely capable Deputy and will, I am certain, be a fine Principal for the college for years to come.”

Newly appointed Principal of Prior Pursglove and Stockton Sixth Form College Asma Shaffi Said:

“I am delighted to have been appointed as Principal of Prior Pursglove and Stockton Sixth College and feel privileged to be the leader of this vibrant and excellent institution of learning.

“I have worked at the college for many years in various roles and it has shaped my passion for learning and education for all young people. I am very proud of our staff for the investment they make in building a new generation of compassionate human beings and the workforce.”